Friday, July 31, 2009

Brand New Repro Parts, Part III: Yet More Adventures in Head-Scratching



I've been chasing a passenger rear brake light that's out and just replaced the turn signal switch thinking that might be the issue.










Surprisingly, the new expensive OEM unit I bought was defective. Neither rear light worked after I installed the switch. So I removed it and installed a cheap repro unit I had on hand. So now the switch worked (but the light problem persisted - darn.) In the end it was a complete waste of time.










On eBay I did find a NOS turn signal switch that I bought for $57 (vs. $80 for the OEM one...) I'll install it later when needed. It's been in the box for decades, so I feel funny using it unless I really need it now! (In the photos, the defective OEM unit is on top, and the NOS unit is next to the box.)

[Update: Ok, since I have the patience of a mouse, I already installed the NOS switch—and I feel good about it! Since the turn signal switch is such an integral part of the electrical system on these cars, there's no use running with a cheap one when I can use the best.)

No comments:

Post a Comment