Thursday, March 13, 2008

'Round and 'Round

I bought a set of single-groove March underdrive pulleys #1550. Actually the crank pulley is underdriven and the alternator and water pump pulleys are about the same diameter.





The new pulleys required a smaller belt (1" smaller) but look pretty nice. I bought grade 5 hardware for the water pump. The crank pulley came with allen head bolts. The crank pulley also came with a centering ring. That ring can be slightly loose according to March. (Mine can be moved with a forceful push and that made me nervous so I called them.)





The water pump pulley required running some 180-grit sandpaper through the middle hole a few times to clear the water pump impeller shaft. I think the clear coat on the pulleys made the fit a bit too tight for my Edelbrock water pump.





I upgraded the alternator from 40amp to a new 65amp unit at the same time (for only $40). Hopefully the reduction in alternator function due to the pulleys won't cause problems. Perhaps the higher rpm rear axle gears will offset the alternator reduction... Having installed pulleys on my '89 5.0 back around 1992, I know they add hp you can really feel. (Edit: I'm having charging issues with the underive crank pulley. My alternator only puts out 12.6v at 2000rpms, which is too low. I'm looking for a single-groove billet crank pulley in the stock diameter... Edit again: I'm using the stock two-groove pulleys.)

No comments:

Post a Comment