Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Project StinkBug: I Brake for Restomods

I decided to leave the brakes as the stock non-power drums on all four corners along with the single pot master cylinder for a stock appearance. But I'm in the middle of replacing everything for safety.
The crusty original brake and suspension pieces needed an overhaul, but fortunately (non-chrome) parts are generally cheap for a '57 Chevy.
After replacing the brakes, cutting the stock springs, adding new shocks and more, plus cleaning and painting everything satin black, the job is looking better. The spare parts pile included aftermarket front and rear anti-sway bars from 20 years ago, so I installed them where there weren't any originally. I used brake shoe self adjusters (and some steering linkage pieces to replace bent idler arm and tie rod ends not shown) from another Craigslist score.

No comments:

Post a Comment