Sunday, November 30, 2008

Odds and Ends: Part V


The glovebox door has been loose since the day I got the car. I am reluctant to replace it since it is the original and even sports some car care service station stickers from the 1970's on the back.

The self-tapping screws and the holes they thread into are stripped, so I used machine screws, cut to length, as studs and epoxied them into the door. Then I used nylon lock nuts to secure the door. This works better but probably isn't a permanent fix. I wouldn't use lock nuts if I were doing this again; they thread too hard on the stud.

The photo shows the stock screw at left, and the new washer and nut at right, with the epoxied stud in the background. [Update: I've given up on this idea in recent months... I hogged out the holes with a drill bit and used larger screws to hold the glovebox door tight.]

No comments:

Post a Comment